The main focus of this article will be on discovering the beauty of Old San Juan while on a guided walking tour. How fun! On this guided tour you will get a better insight on the history of San Juan. You will also have a greater opportunity to appreciate San Juan a little better.
San Juan is the capital of Puerto Rico. It is also the most densely populated city in Puerto Rico. It was founded in 1521 by Juan Ponce de Leon who named it the City of Puerto Rico which was known as Rich Port.
San Juan is known for being the largest processing centre of the island. Its metropolitan area has facilities for petroleum and sugar refining. In addition, It has a brewery, a distillery, and also produces cement, pharmaceuticals, metal products, clothing, and tobacco.
Aside being industrious, San Juan, the heart of Puerto Rico, is a well known tourist hub. It has many natural attractions, architecture that stores centuries of history within its walls, colourful culture, delicious food, and so much more.
The highlights of the Old San Juan walking tour
This walking tour will take you through Old San Juan’s historic buildings and architectural monuments.
The tour may begin in La Plaza Darsenas which is in front of La Casita Tourism Information Centre. From there, locations like El Castillo San Cristobal, the largest fort in Puerto Rico, may be visited. Additionally, you may visit Teatro Tapia which is one of the oldest and most important auditoriums on the Island. Furthermore, El Castillo San Felipe del Morro, which is a fort that can be dated back to the 16th century may be on your itinerary.
The governor’s residence that was built for Ponce de Leon and his family may also be visited. Interconnected by cobblestone streets and colourful buildings is a towering cathedral and many other attractions waiting for you to visit.
In addition to this, you may be presented with the opportunity to try new foods as some tours combine history culture, and food. You can learn more about Old San Juan through the influences of Taino, Spanish, and African cuisines.
There are many opportunities for you to take photos at every location on the tour to commemorate the event. You can pose in the vibrantly coloured streets of Old San Juan and take a picture.
The experience of the Old San Juan walking tour
On the tour, it is likely that you will be split into small groups. This is good because it allows the tour guide to focus more on you and provide you with his/her best.
The duration of the tours are usually just a few hours- mostly two hours- depending on the company you booked with and the activities on the itinerary.
The tours are adequately paced so you can get a good feel of the attractions you visit and also so you gain a good understanding of whatever you are educated on.
Some tours have made provision for audio guides and other multimedia enhancements to help provide you with the best experience and foster the utmost understanding possible.
It is a good idea to go on a walking tour when there is a sure chance of good weather and no rains. This may be during the dry seasons of July through to December. Dress comfortably as you will be doing a lot of water and wear sturdy shoes so your feet do not get hurt. It is a good idea to carry around enough water so you can prevent yourself from getting too dehydrated.
The benefits of a guided walking tour in Old San Juan
Everything in life comes with some benefits and some negative effects. A guided walking tour in San Juan is surely no different. In light of this, let us have a look at some of the benefits of a guided walking tour in Old San Juan.
- Walking tours give you a chance to learn from the local inhabitants. This means that the information you receive is more authentic as it is coming from a somewhat direct source.
- Walking tours are environmentally friendly. This is because you will not be relying on vehicles that function on petrol, diesel and all those fumes that may cause harm to the environment.
- Walking tours are a fun way to burn some calories. Walking is a great way to get some exercise in and stay fit and healthy. What better way to do that than on a walking tour? You will get to see new sites and learn new things all in one go.
- Walking tours are safe and socially distanced. Walking tours adhere to COVID protocols so that will never have to be a concern for you. They are safe and your protection is always on the forefront of their mind.
- Some walking tours allow you to gain access to some exclusive areas, especially because you will be in small groups.
- Walking tours provide you with more personalised attention especially because you will be in small groups.
- You will have the opportunity to ask questions and learn more about the history and culture of Old San Juan.
Other activities and attractions in Old San Juan
As mentioned before, San Juan is a tourist hub. There are so many fun activities and attractions that you can visit and have a good time at. Here is a list of a few of them
- You can visit the bio bays in Lajas, Vieques and Fajardo
- You can visit any one of the numerous beaches in San Juan such as Condado Beach.
- You can hike at El Yunque National Forest
- You can go on a tour at the infamous Casa Bacardi and enjoy a rum tasting experience, and perhaps, even a mixology class. The options are endless, and all you have to do is pick the best one for you.
Old San Juan is a beautiful place to explore during a walking tour as it has so much to offer. Come and discover the rich history and culture of Old San Juan.